CHICKEN VEGGIE SOUP
PAIRS WELL WITH: CALIFORNIA PINOT GRIGIO
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, quartered, white part sliced
2 carrots peeled and diced into small chunks
2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
4 cups chicken stock, hot
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup baby zucchini, diced into small chunks
2 4-ounce chicken breasts cooked and shredded or cubed (whichever you prefer)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups cooked quinoa or wild rice
¼ cup chopped, fresh basil leaves
4 lemon wedges for garnishing soup
1. Place a medium-large soup pot over medium heat; add in the butter and olive oil, and once melted, add in the sliced leek and diced carrots, and sweat for about 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender and the leeks are becoming translucent.
2. Add in the garlic, and once that becomes aromatic, add in a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and the herbs de Provence; stir to combine.
3. Next, add in the hot chicken stock, and bring to a gentle simmer; cover partially with a lid, and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
4. Turn the heat off; add in the English peas (or frozen peas), the diced baby zucchini, the shredded or cubed chicken breast, and the lemon zest and juice; stir to combine, and allow the peas/zucchini to become crisp-tender and bright green in the hot stock, about 3-4 minutes; check to see if additional salt or pepper is needed.
5. To serve, add about ½ cup of the cooked quinoa to a bowl, and ladle some of the soup with the veggies and chicken over top; sprinkle over some of the fresh basil, and squeeze in some additional lemon juice from the lemon wedge garnish, if desired.
Serve with Edna Valley Pinot Grigio for a refreshing yet comforting spring meal!