- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 16 drops green food coloring
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips (swap with milk chocolate, if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in peppermint extract, egg yolks and food coloring until blended.
3. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
5. Using end of handle of wooden spoon (or your thumb), press a deep well into center of each cookie.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Reshape wells with end of hand of wooden spoon. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
7. In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, cream and 3 tablespoons butter on High for 1 minute.
8. Stir frequently, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
9. Fill each well in each cookie with 1 teaspoon of chocolate mixture.
10. Let stand about 1 hour until chocolate sets completely.