- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated smoked Gouda cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
1. To prepare crust, place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Combine milk, salt, and egg yolk in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to butter 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and beat just until combined.
3. Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Unwrap and place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Fit down into a 9-inch pie plate. Freeze 15 minutes.
6. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
7. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and sauté for another 2 minutes.
8. Combine milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Stir in spinach mixture and pour filling into crust.
9. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, or until the center is just set. Cut into wedges and serve.