- Serving Size: Serves 4
- 1-1/4 lb. large ripe pears, preferably Asian or Bosc, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 Tbs. gochujang
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 packed Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 3 lb. crosscut, bone-in beef short ribs (flanken) from 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
1. Combine the pears, apple juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, gochujang, garlic, ginger, sugar, and oil in a blender; purée until smooth.
2. Put the short ribs in a nonreactive (stainless steel, glass, or plastic) container and pour the marinade over them, turning to coat the meat on all sides. Marinate the short ribs for at least 1 hour at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
3. When ready to grill, heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat (350°F to 375°F).
4. Remove the short ribs from the marinade, shaking off the excess. Grill the short ribs, turning once, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Season with salt, and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions before serving.