- 1 pound fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of soft butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 4-6 ounces smoked Gouda cheese
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil. While water is boiling, make crisscross cuts on top of tomatoes, just deep enough to break the skin. Place tomatoes in a colander, tops up. Pour boiling hot water slowly over the tomatoes. This will make it easy to peel the skin off of the tomatoes with your hands. Peel all tomatoes.
2. Heat a medium pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Chop the onion and tomatoes and add them to the pot. Add bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well and cover. Once it hits a low boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes.
3. Take out bay leaf and transfer the mixture into the food processor. Blend until smooth. Mix the softened butter and flour together until they form a smooth paste (roux) and add it to the blender. Add heavy cream and blend all well.
4. Transfer the mixture back to the pot, stir in minced basil, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Layer the cheese on the bread to form sandwiches. Grill the sandwiches in a greased pan (or warm in the toaster oven) until the cheese begins to melt. Cut the sandwiches into thin slices to form sticks. Serve the grilled cheese sticks immediately with the hot soup.