Chicken Pot Pie
- Store bought pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion or leek, diced
- 1 small russet potato, diced into small cubes
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 1/2 cup milk or cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a deep sauté pan. Add the onion, potato, carrot, and celery and cook until tender. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, mushrooms, and thyme, and cook until mushrooms have given up their juices.
3. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan to melt. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until combined and no longer raw. Slowly stir in the warmed chicken broth, followed by the milk or cream. Continue simmering over medium-low heat, stirring until thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the chicken and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Place 4 individual-size baking dishes on a sheet pan and pour the filling into them.
5. Roll out your pie dough on a floured surface and cut 4 circles that are about 1/2-inch bigger than the tops of the baking dishes you are using. Place each circle over the baking dish and press the sides to adhere. Brush the beaten egg on top of the dough, and then cut a slit into each dough round for steam to escape.
6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden. Serve.