- 4 large potatoes (Russet or Idaho)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 10 bacon slices
- 2 green onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly crumbled
- 2/3 cup Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow corn (canned works best)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
1. Wash baked potatoes and pierce them with a fork several times each.
2. Microwave the baked potatoes until done, should be able to cut into easily with butter knife.
3. Let potatoes cool and then peel them with a vegetable peeler and cut into ½ inch chunks/cubes.
4. In a pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain and pat bacon with paper towels to remove excess grease.
5. Use your hands to crumble the bacon into bits and set aside.
6. Heat a large pot on medium heat with butter, melting the butter completely.
7. Add onions and 1 clove of minced garlic to melted butter in the pot and stir regularly until onions translucent.
8. Stir in the all-purpose flour and mix well.
9. Add the cauliflower and stir. Let cauliflower get crispy in the pan, but not cooked through (about 3 minutes).
10. Add the 3 cups of milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring.
11. Stir over medium heat until the soup mixture is smooth and of one consistency.
12. Add the chicken and vegetable stock and let simmer for 5 minutes.
13. Add the remaining ingredients: corn, green onions, garlic salt, paprika, Roma tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, salt and pepper. Let simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
14. Add the cheese, sour cream and bacon and stir until cheese is melted.
15. Lastly, add the baked potato chunks and stir a few time.
16. Serve with tortilla chips or sourdough and Edna Valley Chardonnay!