- Makes 12-15 straws
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup black olives, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- extra-virgin olive oil
1. Prepare surface with al-purpose flour while thawing puff pastry sheet.
2. Flour a rolling pin and roll puff pastry dough into a rectangle that is approximately 1/16-inch thick.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg with a tablespoon of water. Use a basting brush to cover pastry dough with egg wash mixture.
4. Sprinkle cheese, olives thyme and oregano over ½ of the pastry rectangle. Fold the uncovered half of pastry dough over onto the covered side, making another rectangle. Cut any excess dough so it is a perfect rectangle in shape. Cut the dough into 12-15 long even strips. Twist each strip into a spiraled ribbon-like straw and place onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all straws are on baking sheet. Set straws in refrigerator.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. When oven is heated to 375 degrees, remove cheese straws from refrigerator and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, then use tongs to flip the straws and bake for another 2 minutes.
7. Serve with Edna Valley Chardonnay for an autumn fireside snack. Cheers!