- 6 (1 ounce) slices Italian bread or peasant bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved and divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped, seeded tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden, turning after 4 minutes.
3. Once golden, remove the toast from the oven and rub one side of each piece with the cut side of 1 garlic clove half; set toast aside. Discard the used garlic clove half and mince the remaining garlic piece.
4. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic to the pan; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and onions to the pan and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
5. Remove pan from heat. Stir in vinegar and capers. Once completely cooled, stir in basil, salt, and pepper
6. Spoon 1/3 cup tomato mixture onto each piece of toast. Serve immediately.